Sunday, May 17, 2009

In Praise of Pop Tarts – America’s New Ambassador …


Switzerland may be the most neutral of countries, but at times it can still be hard for foreigners to fit in completely. Take my daughters for example. They try really hard to balance being both American and French. Now that we are in Switzerland, it gets even more difficult. So on Friday, my oldest daughter came home from school and said in a huff, "Mommy, I get so tired of hearing kids say bad things about America." She didn't go into specifics so I didn't ask her right away. Once she calmed down, I asked her finally what she does when she hears negative things about home country. She said, "Well, usually, I argue with the kids but today I thought I'd do something different...I brought them a little taste of America – Pop Tarts!" Apparently, the girls on the playground loved the brown sugar cinnamon ones (our household favorites). Now, the entire class seems to be in love with them and planning to rush down to the American store to get their own boxes! It's nice to know that a package of boxed pastries has so much diplomatic power!

No comments:

Post a Comment