Saturday, May 13, 2006

Discovering Niki Saint Phalle


It's nice to know grown-ups can still learn something from their children. I had a nice surprise this morning when I picked up my daughter Chloe from Saturday class. (Remember, kids in France have school some Saturday mornings, which still remains a mystery to me!)

When we went downstairs to the gym to view the student art exhibits, I discovered an artist totally unknowned to me. Her name was Niki Saint Phalle, and it was a real treat learning about her life and her work.

All these weeks when Chloe had been working in plaster and drawing strangely colorful animals and women, and I had no idea why - other than the fact that it was for art class.

Chloe took to the work really easily (she likes collages, clay, mosaics and pottery). She also appreciated hearing from her teacher that Saint Phalle not only shared her background (American mom and French dad), but also grew up in Neuilly-sur-Seine, which is in walking distance from our home. Tomorrow we're off to visit some of Saint Phalle's work near the Pompidou museum. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment