Sunday, July 3, 2005

It's Still a Holiday for Me, Too!

It's the 4th of July and MotionTemps is closed today. My clients in the States get this immediately, as they are also at home enjoying great barbecue, something I can only dream about until I return.

Contrastly, why do some of my French clients have such a hard time understanding this concept - even after I tell them that the office will be closed well in advance? Saying that I'll be closed for July 14th is a no brainer, however. You see, that's their independence day, Bastille Day. However, my need to celebrate my country's holidays and customs seem to put them at a loss. I'm always struck by their defiance.

Last year I remember telling a client that I was taking the day off due to holiday celebrations in the U.S., and she said, "But you're not in the U.S. anymore, you're in France!" I looked at her really annoyed and said, "Every day can be a holiday if I want it to be since that's the beauty of owning your own business. I choose when my office opens and closes." Truthfully, I celebrate both countries' national holidays when they make sense. I will be closed on July 14th, for example. As Bobby Brown says, "That's my perrogative," as long as I have my work prorities under control.

That comment really unnerved me because it made me feel like I'm a 24/7 robot, which I'm not. Also, it was almost like I'm supposed to leave my holidays, and culture for that matter, behind. This year, I'm just sending all calls to voice mail. I can guarantee that no business calls will be returned until July 5. That'll teach them a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment