Thursday, June 30, 2005

Summer Reading List















Work is finally starting to wind down for the summer, and my family and I will be heading off for the much-needed vacation. I like this time of the year because the office is a lot less busy, and it gives me a chance to look at where the business is and where it's going over the next year. It also gives me a chance to read, which I love to do. If you have some downtime, check out these books that I highly recommend.

A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink. I love Dan's web site and his first book, Free Agent Nation was such a catalyst in helping me to understand that it was time for me work solo. When I started my business, I had no idea that there was already a name for what I wanted to do: virtual assistance. I only knew a couple of things. First, that I wanted to work from home because I had gotten addicted working this way while on maternity leave from a dot.com. Second, I loved certain aspects of administrative work, but only the expressive and challenging parts like creating great PowerPoint presentations. I also loved PR, which is what I had been trained to do, but I not only wanted to do it in a way that helped the little guy, but I also wanted to do PR on my own terms, meaning that I only wanted to work on projects that I found interesting or fun. I knew that I was self-disciplined so I wanted to be free to work on radically different projects that required me to think in vastly different ways. I had no idea that what I was doing was what this book suggests, finding a symphony between two radically different things and making them work together in an innovative way. I have a long way to go but I think I'm on the right path. The book talks a lot about designing work that has meaning, and that's totally where I am these days, and trust me, I'm a whole lot happier.

I've been reading this book for the last couple of days and I can't put it down. Some of the concepts are heavy admittedly (right brain versus left brain), however, it's an easy read and some of the tips you can start applying to your own business or career right now. I know I can't wait to finish the book to see where I am and where I'm going. It's also helping me to look at how I can take these concepts and nuture my kids' talents and steer them in the right direction for the future.

A few more really interesting books that I am either currently reading or have read within the last few months:

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
I am reading this one right now. When Malcolm says the book is about change, he's right. It's all of the seemingly little things that make a big difference. I'm only in chapter two, but I love the story about the return of Hush Puppy shoes.

The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki - I read this one last Christmas. The idea of coming up with a company mantra has completely changed the way I look at my business.

Purple Cow - Seth Godin is a genius! I read this book last fall and whenever I have an opportunity, I'm always preaching to my clients to look for what truly makes their business unique, that purple cow! My goal has become making my company truly remarkable. This book can show you how! If you need a daily dose of support in that arena, check Seth's Change This blog, too! It's where I found the excerpts from The Art of the Start.

Two more for the road:

Anything by Tom Peters. He's the closest any of us will get to an all-encompassing mentor. Check out In Search of Excellence, Re-Imagine and/or the Pursuit of Wow.

Good to Great by Jim Collins. Client Carol Johnson recommended this one. I was so floored by what I learned that I've passed this book along to at least three other clients, and what they've done with their companies as a result, has been outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment