Monday, June 27, 2005

The French Soldes


At some point, I will have to two write at least two books about my experiences living here in France. If I had to choose titles, one would have to be called, "101 Things I'll Never Understand About the French!" Trust me, I have consulted a truckload of books on the subjects of French culture and thinking. You would think that my marriage to one of them would help me to understand the culture better. Ironically, my French husband is one of the most American-acting people you'll ever meet so he's no help!

Thing number 101 is what I want to talk about here because it's going on as I write. I'm talking about the "Soldes" or sales. I went shopping for a new blouse today because I'm doing a presentation for a new client next week. Boy, was I sorry I went at 2 pm instead of 10 am when the stores generally open. The crowds were insane, and in one store called Zara's, clothes were flying through the air. It looked like Filene's basement when they're holding those $99 wedding dresses! I love to shop but all of those people everywhere all the time literally turns the whole affair into a joyless experience.

Now, here's what I don't get and no one yet has been able to give me a straight answer. Why, are there only store sales roughly four times per year? It is one of the things that has been driving me insane! In the US, if a store decides to put their inventory on sale, they just do it. They don't need what appears to be the government's approval to do it. Usually their competitors follow suit because hey, that's capitalism! Sometimes I feel like I'm living the former Soviet Union.

Here it's like capitalism isn't encouraged at all. If I'm wrong about this, and there are some English-speaking French people reading my post, please feel free to comment and set me straight. It is my understanding that the government regulates pricing here. Therefore, if you're looking for that new iPod at Darty's it's the same price at FNAC or Virgin Megastore, with the tax added. Even if you buy it online at any of these stores, the price is still the same regardless. The only difference is will the store of your choice actually HAVE that beloved iPod in stock? Nine times out of the ten, my experience has been no! This of course, frustrates me further, makes my hair stand on end like the heat miser, and sends me off on a four-letter-word tirade that using ends with "I'm going home where I know how things work!" My husband hates to the see the annual sales coming.

Here's something else about the sales I don't understand. Why are they in August when most French people are not even in the country? Everyone is on vacation someplace else. I know this because I had the misfortune of spending my first August in Paris. I guess it's for the tourists, but I'm willing to bet they can get the same things cheaper in their own countries in many cases. Like last year, my friend Priscilla was so excited about a pair of Gucci shoes she picked up during the sale. When she told me how much she paid on sale, I nearly gasped aloud. I said that's no sale, girl, that's a rip off! The luxury tax here makes products so much more expensive. A word to wise, buy your Gucci back home because it's cheaper, and I don't mean from some rip-off street vendor either.

Chuck Berry sings "I'm so glad I'm living in the USA," and when it comes to shopping, it has become my anthem. That's because it's true when he says "Anything you want we got it right here in the US of A." When I get back home for vacation, I'm going shopping at Old Orchard, River Oaks, Orland Square, the Mag Mile or someplace. What's more, I just might kiss the ground in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment